In case you are one of those smart people who I wish to emulate, the kind who doesn’t watch tv, listen to the radio or read news stories, you may not know that there is a major child-sex-abuse case in the media. If you are interested you can read more here and about a million other places. But I don’t necessarily recommend it. In fact, if you prefer I can summarize it for you…
One man, who seems to have enjoyed a powerful position within a NCAA sports empire started a not-for-profit serving at-risk youth. And, he was a pervert. Over the course of more than 13 years he has been caught in the act of sexually abusing young boys MORE THAN ONCE. LOTS of people knew. Lots of people did their “duty” to report what they knew to their superiors, and to the authorities. After that, NO-ONE did anything. And more kids were abused. And more kids were abused, And more kids were abused. Shame on every last one of those involved. You all make me sick. There are no excuses.
So, for future reference, I am creating a step-by-step guide as to what to do should you come upon an adult sexually abusing a child.
1) Physically separate the child from the adult.
2) Punch the adult. There are many options to this step. Here is what I would personally do. First, scratch the hell out of his face. This serves three purposes a) collecting DNA evidence under your nails b) leaving marks for all the world to see including law enforcement officials c) it hurts. Second, I would knee the guy in the genitals. Because he deserves it and because it would feel sort-of fun. (And my life would be about to get complicated and not-fun-at-all so this might be the last chance to blow off steam for a while.)
3) Look at the child and say the following, “This is NOT YOUR FAULT. You did nothing wrong. I will protect you from now on.”
4) Call the police.
5) If possible find another adult who can stay with you and the kid while you wait for the police. This person is there to be a witness so if the case gets turned upside down in the future it will be clear you did nothing wrong. Also, if the RAPIST (let’s stop calling this person the accused or the perpetrator and call him what he is: A RAPIST) is still there, the other adult can hold him down while waiting for the police. Uncomfortable wrestling holds are strongly encouraged. Basically you are making a citizen’s arrest so you can do anything a cop would do – okay, not ANYTHING a cop would do – but you do have plenty of leeway.
6) Look at the kid again and say these words, “This is NOT YOUR FAULT. You did nothing wrong. I will protect you from now on.”
7) Call your lawyer.
8) Do not say anything else to anyone until your lawyer arrives. You can give the police your identification and point out the RAPIST. But you probably shouldn’t say anything else.
9) The exception to the no talking rule is the following… You must look at the child at least once every five minutes and say, “This is NOT YOUR FAULT. You did nothing wrong. I will protect you from now on.”
If you have any questions about this step-by-step guide I suggest you talk to your deity and/or an adult who was raped as a child. (I can give you the email of a few of my friends who experienced this.)
Do you have a written policy at work or through an organization you are involved in that has a different step-by-step policy?? I don’t care. And neither does your deity. And neither does a child who has been raped.
It is time that ALL ADULTS stop this crap from happening. We may not be able to stop the creep the first time. But we surely can stop him after that. There is no excuse.
There is no excuse.